Friday, October 15, 2010

Not much going on...

Probably why I haven't posted in two months. It's just been the same 'ol, same 'ol. Not a whole lot to report. Michael's making progress in several areas. It's baby steps, but that's ok. He's talking so much now----ok, I hear the smart comments, wonder where he got that from? And we've reached a point where we can longer spell some words in front of him. He just spells them right back to us! He understands alot more of what we say than we thought he did. Have to be super careful now. Matt's gonna have to learn how to read lips! And in terms of getting him to do something, you can't use the "1-2-3" method. He just counts with us! And keeps going "4-5.." It can be really hard not to laugh. He's a little smarty pants! He knows his first and last name now - I was surprised when that came out. He's been saying his first name for a while, but I had no idea he knew his last name. We haven't really been working with him on that. Okay, I'll stop the bragging...

I finally got my first "love you mama" with a big hug and a kiss a few weeks ago. Melted my heart. Matt got it too right after I did. It was totally unprompted too. I couldn't believe what my ears were hearing. He was already loving on us, giving kisses and he was receiving kisses as well for a while, but not so much anymore. He wipes them off so Matt and I have resorted to "permanent kisses", they don't wash off! After that night he started saying 'love you mama/daddy' when he hugs us. He'll run up to me after dinner while I am washing dishes, hug and squeeze my leg and say 'love you mama".... it's so sweet. But the 'love you's' have now moved to his lovey, and his trains, and finally to his french fry two nights ago!
We're still having issues with trust and control. I wrote a long post about all of this about two weeks ago. I decided it was too long to post and probably wouldn't really matter to most folks. But putting it down made me feel better. Some of his behavior is typical two-year old, toddler behavior, but some of it is not. Some of it is attachment related. There's a fine line there. He still doesn't totally, 100% trust us. It's hard and frustrating at times. And it breaks my heart. He's getting there, but it's going to take time. And we're giving him all the time he needs. We have to remind ourselves that while chronologically he's almost two and a half years old, there are times when emotionally he's much younger. He's been with us for 14 months, so emotionally that's where he can be at times. It's often hard to see the forest for the trees, but we're making progress, slowly.

Sorry I don't have any pictures to post at the moment. I just don't live behind the camera. And once Michael sees the camera come out, he stops doing whatever it was that was picture-worthy! I'll try to take some to post soon. He's growing up so fast! Is there a way to make it slow down?? just a little?

1 comment:

everythingismeowsome said...

remembering the chronological age vs his developmental age thing is one of the hardest things for me. I think it is extra hard since Matthew and Isaac are the same age because I can't help but compare them. I have to talk myself down when I am screaming in my head "YOU ARE THREE AND A HALF". It's hard. But I don't have to tell you that. Be strong!

Congrats on the love you, mamas! That is priceless and just shows the major progress he is making!